He grew up in Longreach in Central Queensland the son of a sheep shearer. Moved to the Gold Coast where he became a roof-titler, moved to Sydney and decided to walk on stage at the Harold Park Hotel one night, told everyone how a bird had poo-ed on him that day and the rest is history.
Carl's non-threatening observational style of comedy appeals to everyone. He has touched the hearts of thousands of people with his gentle, awkward, self-conscious, relaxed and original approach to comedy.
Since winning Comic of the year and Best Up and Coming Talent in 1993, Carl has established himself as one of the most accomplished comedy performers in Australia and around the world.
This extremely popular and gifted comedian has tread the boards throughout Australia, New York, L.A, London, South Africa, Auckland, Ireland, Singapore, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Edinburgh.
Carl started his TV career in 1997 and has over 50 TV spots to his credit both in Australia and abroad. His first DVD release 'Carl Barron Live' won 'Best Menu Design' at the Australian DVD Awards and is the country’s highest selling stand-up comedy DVD in Australian retail history. His second show 'Whatever Comes Next' won Best International Show at the N.Z. Comedy Festival which was then released on DVD entering the Charts at Number One, staying there for over 12 months and then being nominated for an ARIA award. Carl Barron is the only person to have a top 20 selling DVD in the official GFK Charts three years in a row! And in 2005 & 2006 he had two DVDs in the top twenty - an astonishing achievement.
Having headlined at every major comedy venue and Festival worldwide, no wonder that Carl Barron is one of the most sought after comedians world-wide. There are very few Australian comedians on the live scene who have received the same kudos as Carl.
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- Adelaide Fringe Festival
- Sydney 'Cracker' Comedy Festival
- Sydney Big Laugh Festival
- Montreal 'Juste Pour Rire' (Just for Laughs) Festival 2000
- Montreal 'Juste Pour Rire' (Just for Laughs) Festival 2004
- oz.comedy (thecomedychannel Foxtel)
- Headliners (Foxtel)
- Rove (Network Ten)
- The Footy Show - NRL (Nine Network) - including Live and Sketch
- Sydney Weekender (Nine Network)
- Fat Pizza (SBS)
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival Gala (Nine Network)
- The Melbourne International Comedy Festival Debate (Ten Network)
- Live at Jongleurs (Channel 4 UK)
- Montreal Juste Pour Rire' Festival Gala (Canadian TV), 2000 and 2004
- Preen Commercial - two campaigns
- The Midday Show (Nine Network)
- Hey Hey It's Saturday (Nine Network)
- Best Of the Footy Show Comedians - Host (Nine Network)
- New Zealand - Oddfellows Comedy Gala
- The Glasshouse - ABC TV
- George Negus Tonight
Awards and Achievements
- Best Menu Design for Carl Barron Live - DVD, 2004
- Nominated for ACE Award 1999
- Released Carl Barron Live CD in 1999
- Nominated for Comedian of the year Maurie Awards 2002
- Nominated for a MO Award 2002, 2004
- Released Carl Barron Live DVD in 2003 which has subsequently sold more than 170 000 copies
- Won the BEST INTERNATIONAL SHOW at this years NZ INTERNATIONAL COMEDY FESTIVAL
- Released Carl Barron 'Whatever Comes Next' DVD August 2005 - it has sold more than 130 000 copies
- Nominated for ARIA award for 'Whatever Comes Next' DVD - 2006
What the Critics Say
"Carl Barron of Australia was the highlight of the evening, with wry observations and hysterical bits on sneezing, burping, farting and just plain stuff"......
The Gazette Montreal
".... They (the audience) were in a state of uncontrollable joy"
The Age Melbourne
" Barron's show is one asthmatic laugh after the other. It's a marvel the packed audiences had pause for breath - the lady next to me almost required medical assistance"
"The skinny balding master of observational humour...
The Sun Herald Sydney
"...but the one who stole the show was Carl Barron"...
The Scotsman Edinburgh
....' But the star of the evening is Carl Barron, who has the audience in fits with his resonating observations of common experiences. With a dead-pan expression breaking out into gleaming wickedness, this skinny Gandhi-like comedian turns the tables on the mundane, tackling everything from our reactions to stupid questions through to turds with footprints...
"A gifted physical comic and monologist"
The LA Times
" Barron is small and shy, his jokes clean and precise. The audience loves him..."
"Audiences are rioting for a glimpse of his shy and sharp routine"
***** "Carl Barron is an awesome standup comedian.... I had tears in my eyes...""
The Age, Melbourne
"Carl Barron is a man who articulates the small but precious hopes of a nation"
"Get ready to giggle yourself silly"
"Carl Barron is small, quiet and a comedy surprise package."
"Watching Barron perform is like watching mime with punch lines"
The Drum Sydney
"...an Aussie larrikin persona that has been polished to shine brighter than an opal"
"His wry, acute insights are so warmly received because people are instantly aware of what he is talking about"
"People were laughing so hard they were either crying or nearly falling out of their chairs"
"Carl Barron is the sort of comedian who gives a good name to observational comedy"