Alice Ashley – Profile
Alice Ashley has been performing for a number of years. Her musical styles are various; from Contemporary and Southern Soul, R&B, Motown and Jazz to other Popular genres. Alice started singing at a very early age; and her passion for entertaining was influenced by her gospel background and other Artists in the industry. She is very talented and a fantastic perfomer.
Born in the southern US, the former Property Manager turned Philanthropist, Singer/Songwriter and Recording Artist has recently released her album “A Time Will Come” distributed on CD Baby Independent music.
Alice started writing songs not only about her own experiences, but always with others in mind. “A Time Will Come” album covers a variety of genres as well; and the songs contain up tempo grooves of blues, contemporary soul, contemporary jazz, motown, rock and gospel influences; and it represents a host of experiences that one category simply could not define.
Prior to Australia, Alice performed for a number of years in many prominent US cities, including Baltimore, Hartford, Dallas, St Louis, Las Vegas and the Apollo Theatre, New York. US Television appearances include the former Becky Livas’ talk show, Virginia and on prime time Spanish television, Connecticut to promote community involvement. Alice and her band performed for a variety of corporations including American Airlines; and featured in a series of television commercials for a major Insurance company.
Alice has also co-hosted musical entertainment shows. She believes that the opportunity to perform for others in any capacity is not only inspiring, but an absolute pleasure. Whether on stage or in the middle of the crowd, fun and enjoyment is the order of the day; and Alice can read and move an audience. She’s often said, “if they’re not on the floor on the first song, I haven’t done my job”. An article in the Herald Sun, Australia stated “Alice and her band had the guests table-hopping with a difference”.
Other Performances and Appearances
- Alice was invited to perform on Network 10’s “Good Morning Australia”, an entertainment and talk show hosted by Bert Newton; similar to “Good Morning America”.
- Headline act “Concert in the Park”, Sydney for the Australian Lifeline Organisation; and Currawong Island “Country Fair” Sydney’s North Shore, for the Fred Hollows Foundation.
- The Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club “Melbourne Cup Function”, “Commodore’s Christmas Party” and New Year’s Eve Dinner/Dance.
- The Newport Surf Lifesaving Club, the Pittwater RSL Club and the Royal Motor Yacht Club.
- Residency Round Midnight International Nightclub; and one year residency at the Sydney Harbour Casino and Star City Casino.
- Sheraton-On-The-Park, Sydney for Leighton Holdings Corporation’s annual Xmas party; and Grand Hyatt Savoy Ball Room, a major 2000’ Olympic’s celebration for the Boral Group.
- Palladium at Crown Casino for the Fred Hollows Foundation “Crystal Ball”, and the River Room at Crown for the Kirwin Group, and the Confectionery Manufacturer’s Association.
- Jeff’s Shed at Melbourne Docklands for the University of Melbourne; and Leonda by the Yarra for St Kevin’s College Mothers’ Association.
- Werribee Hotel Function Centre, for Toyota Finance Australia; Multidisciplinary Dental Association; and Soupe’ Bar & Restaurant for Society Dental Association.
- Two years in Balwyn, for MPA Corporation Network Solutions and Castella Research; and New Year’s Eve for Carter’s Bar & Restaurant, and Ginter’s Bar & Restaurant.
- Eureka Towers (Melbourne’s tallest building) observation deck, Masquerade Party; and Night of Music at the Smart Artz Gallery, South Melbourne.
- JJ’s Bar & Grill at Crown for the Australian Cricket Team and former owner of Crown Lloyd Williams and wife Sue. (Alice Being a hugh cricket fan, this was ideal).
- The Annual Australia-China Friendship Society Dinner/Dance, attended by the Lord Mayor of Melbourne and the Chinese Ambassador to Australia.
- Radio appearance and interviews on 3MP with Davey Frankston, 3AK with Lee Drew, and 3AW with Phillip Brady and Paul Cronin, all in support of the Fred Hollows Foundation.
- Performed live on PBS radio, and co-hosted shows with former announcer Vicky Petrovska. Also appeared on SBS Radio Australia to support raising funds to aid the children of Malta.
- Alice performed each year at the Spring Racing Carnival; including Caulfield Cup, Flemington’s Derby Day, Melbourne Cup and Ladies Oaks Day.
- Corporate Marquee at F1 Grand Prix Melbourne; and the Grand Final Village for the Australian Rules Footy Finals.
When not performing, and managing the production of live performances, Alice has appeared in the following movies, “Ghost Rider” and “Knowing” both starring Nicholas Cage; “Nightmares & Dreamscapes” by Steven King; “The Elephant Princess”; and most recently “The Pacific”, produced by Steven Spielberg. Alice also had a part in the Australian Drama TV series “City Homicide”.
Alice is also a vocal coach and has taught many people of varying ages for the past 14 years; much like her good friend and mentor Gil Askey. Gil is one of the worlds most notable Musical Directors. He’s also a great Arranger, Producer and Trumpeter, who believes that teaching others the art of music comes naturally.
On a Charitable Note:
Alice Ashley has been generous with her time, and a great supporter in the community; especially encouraging young people to follow their dreams. She helped to organised a Community Centre to provide a place where children could have creative activities during the summer. She volunteered in the early 90’s to bring music to the late Paul Newman's hole-in-the-Wall-Gang Camp, for children with catastrophic illnesses. Alice has supported various charitable organisations over the years including Make-A-Wish Foundation. She is a miracle club member of The Fred Hollows foundation; an organisation that provides cataract eye surgery and nutritional programs to people in Australia and around the world. Alice is a member of the Royal Children’s Hospital Special Events Committee in Australia. The committee raises funds to purchase equipment for the Hospital.
Alice has written a significant number of songs in preparation for her next album. However, her focus presently is touring and promoting in the US, Canada, Japan, and Europe.